Meskerem Presumed Dead for 5 Years; Enslaved by Nahla Mohsen

Meskerem was enslaved in Lebanon for 8 years, partly due to negligence of her own consulate. Her madam continues to go unpunished.


Meskerem Asfew


Nahla Yousef Mohsen


Meskerem Amare Asfaw traveled to Lebanon in search of employment as a domestic worker, but instead became a survivor of years of torment, forced labour and abuse at the hands of her Lebanese employer. Kept confined in pitiful conditions, her whereabouts were unknown for up to five years, leaving her family anguished and unaware of whether Meskerem was dead or alive.

Meskerem’s plight was highlighted alongside that of two other women in a recent Al Jazeera in depth piece on the suffering of women enslaved in Lebanon for years. Their stories are examples of women made to disappear by their employers, into cycles of, what felt like, unending enslavement. Migrant domestic workers often risk their lives to escape the torture and enslavement they would otherwise endure. But when they don’t escape, they can endure months, even years of a demeaning routine that would break any man or woman down, physically and mentally.

In 2012, a then 28 year old Meskerem traveled to Lebanon with the goal of earning income and supporting her parents and siblings. Her younger sister Tsedale Amare had also traveled to Lebanon and had found employment. It was assumed that Meskerem would have no problem doing the same.

Her employer, Nahla Yousef Mohsen, divorced mother of three, born in 1976 and a businesswoman who later became a singer at nightclubs, penned an agreement to pay Meskerem $150 monthly and to eventually pay for her return flight to Ethiopia.

Between November 2012 and March 2015, Meskerem worked in Ms. Mohsen’s home in Beirut and cared for her children. Living conditions during this period were acceptable, and Meskerem’s sister Tsedale was even able to regularly visit the home and check on her sister. But there was a major sticking point: Nahla Mohsen refused to pay Meskerem a salary.

Initially promising to pay Meskerem every two or three months, she kept creating excuses to postpone the promised payment, despite the repeated protests of the family in Ethiopia and Tsedale who would visit the home and demand her sister be paid what she was owed. Nahla, described as being extremely manipulative, tricked Meskerem into believing that she would receive her accumulated pay at the end of her two year working contract. This would be approximately $3,600 without counting the airfare for Meskerem’s return to Ethiopia.

But when November 2014 came around, Nahla still wouldn’t pay her worker, citing her ill mother, costs related to her children’s schooling and other excuses.

A few months later, an irate Tsedale visited the home and told Nahla she wouldn’t put up with this anymore. Meskerem had worked almost two and a half years in the Mohsen home, but had nothing to show for it. The sisters reached an agreement with Ms. Mohsen: Meskerem would be paid by the end of March 2015, or she’d leave the home.

Satisfied with the ultimatum, Tsedale went to visit the home shortly before the end of the month to see how Mohsen’s accumulation of her sister’s pay was coming along. But when she visited the Beirut residence, she found it empty, with no one inside. Neighbours explained to her that Mohsen had moved out and taken Tsedale’s sister with her.

“This woman disappeared with my sister, and I was no longer able to find her,” Tsedale tells This Is Lebanon. “I had nowhere to turn to. The woman exploited her for over two years and to avoid her responsibilities, she stopped answering my calls.”

This Is Lebanon began investigating Meskerem’s circumstances in 2018, when the family reached out to us. Using publicly available data and informants on the ground in Lebanon, we learned that Nahla Yousef Mohsen was facing multiple lawsuits for tax evasion and fraudulent dealings involving business partners and projects she was involved with in both Lebanon and Morocco. In an attempt to avoid her creditors, she began repeatedly changing addresses and phone numbers.

We were able to obtain an address in Beirut. We shared these details with Al Jazeera journalists who were also searching for her. But when journalists visited the location, they too found it abandoned. Meskerem seemed untraceable.

Meskerem would remain untraceable for another two years, as Mohsen dodged the law and her creditors. For a period of about a year and a half, we learned that she lived with her family and an enslaved Meskerem at the Chafic Jawhary building, on the second floor. The building is located on the Nazek Hariri street near the European School in Dohet Aramoun.

Nahla Mohsen used a variety of phone numbers, including the mobile phone number +96170633613 and a landline +9615808996. Over the years, Mohsen ignored a number of phone calls and text messages sent to her by This Is Lebanon. She became well aware that we were pursuing a case against her and took precautions to avoid being found by our team on the ground.

In addition to the deployment of a search party, This Is Lebanon also attempted to exhaust the legal avenues to obtain Meskerem’s release. In February 2019, we referred the case to an organization offering legal aid. Unfortunately, the legal system was not able to help.

Assistance from Ethiopia’s consulate in Beirut was also solicited. The consulate is known for its complicity in the suffering of migrant domestic workers in Lebanon. Tsedale Amare, went and visited the headquarters, pleading for assistance from Ethiopian diplomats to help locate her missing sister, but the consulate took no action.

Tsedale repeatedly visited the consulate seeking updates on her sister. Eventually, diplomats grew irritated and told her not to return unless they reached out to her. One diplomat threatened Tsedale that she would be arrested if she were to return to the consulate. The diplomat, identified as Nigussie Bedaso Mola, has been reported to have a long history of complicity in the misery of his fellow citizens, including the coverup of deaths, such as that of Mulu Tilaye, a 21 year old migrant domestic worker who plunged to her death in 2019 in an attempt to escape abuse at the hands of her employers.

Information was instead accumulated from informants who spoke to domestic workers who lived in the area and were eyewitnesses to Meskerem’s plight. According to them, Meskerem spent the years in the home being mistreated, frequently beaten, insulted and threatened by both Nahla Mohsen and a string of boyfriends who’d visit the home during the time span. Meskerem was nearly starved, to the point of malnourishment, and was forbidden access to a phone.

This Is Lebanon would learn about the details of her remaining period confined to the home years later.

In June 2020, after years without any word of whether Meskerem was even alive, her family in Ethiopia were given the surprise of their lives, when Meskerem called them to say that she had landed in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. She would have to stay in mandatory two week confinement, as per COVID-19 procedures, but would be able to visit her family, who were shocked, overjoyed and relieved to hear that Meskerem was alive and finally free after nearly eight hellish years at the mercy of Nahla Yousef Mohsen.

Meskerem’s mother Chewanesh Mariye described the moment two weeks later in an interview with Al Jazeera, when she finally laid eyes on her daughter, who was severely malnourished and had lost most of her teeth.

“She had aged considerably and was so frail looking,” she said. “But it’s the pain in her eyes which broke my heart the most as a mother. I took her into my arms and didn’t let go.”

Meskerem emerged traumatized and brutally scarred from her horrific ordeal. She later corroborated much of what This Is Lebanon had heard about her from other sources.

According to Meskerem, Nahla Mohsen left her confined to various homes as a prisoner for years. Taking up work as a nightclub performer, she fell into alcohol and drugs, which harmed not only Meskerem but also her children. “She would leave money on the table for the kids to order food from restaurants when they went to school,” she explained.

“But there was mostly nothing in the home and I had little to eat but pieces of pita bread which I would try to make last for the whole day.”

Meskerem describes being too afraid to attempt to escape. Continuous beatings inflicted upon her by Mohsen and her male associates left her fearing what would happen if she would be caught.

Nahla Mohsen’s cruelty wasn’t limited to the physical violence meted out against Meskerem. Meskerem’s mother Chewanesh described to Al Jazeera a final phone call made to Ms. Mohsen a few days after Tsedale visited the home and learned of their moving out. According to Chewanesh, in a desperate attempt at finding her missing daughter, she pleaded with Ms. Mohsen to allow her to see her again, claiming that Meskerem’s father had recently passed away and that she was severely ill and desperate to see her daughter before dying. Meskerem’s father was alive and well, but Chewanesh thought that appealing to Mohsen’s humanity might work here.

Instead, Mohsen went and told Meskerem that her father was dead.

“My employer just told me my father was dead and I thought it was true,” Meskerem told Al Jazeera. “I mourned him for years, thinking he was dead.”

Meskerem explains that after years of changing addresses, the strain of being followed by creditors and now This Is Lebanon staff, got to Mohsen. One day, she called a policeman friend of her’s and requested he take Meskerem away to a prison, something very easily arranged in Lebanon, where under the kafala system, migrant domestic workers are often detained and incarcerated for months and even years at a time.

Meskerem told This Is Lebanon that three months into her detention, Nahla Mohsen was told to appear in court to formally press charges against Meskerem. Employers often falsely claim to be victims of theft when they seek to keep their worker behind bars indefinitely.

Mohsen decided against doing so, likely fearing that showing up at a court would result in her dossier being opened and a judge ordering her arrest for evading justice linked to her days as a businesswoman. With no charges against her, Meskerem was eventually released. Members of the Ethiopian community arranged for her to be flown back to Ethiopia where she was finally reunited with her long-suffering parents.

Meskerem, believing her father to be dead, describes nearly fainting at the airport, when she rang his phone number, the only one she had memorized, and heard the voice of her father.

“We both started crying. We both couldn’t believe we were about to see each other alive."

Not counting promised airfare costs, Nahla Yousef Mohsen owes her former employee over $13,000 in wages, but the damages for the unbearable suffering that Meskerem was put through for nearly a decade would multiply that sum many, many times.

In 2017, This Is Lebanon intervened in another such case and rescued Halima Ubpah, who was enslaved by her employer, a Lebanese politician, for ten years. After our involvement in the case, Halima was repatriated, putting an end to a decade of abuse. However, like Meskerem, she too hasn’t received wages owed to her. In Halima’s case, her abusers Ali Al Khatib and his wife Ibtissam Al Saadi, refuse to pay a staggering $40,000 plus damages.

Meskerem Amare is alive but is still traumatized by the horrors of the eight years spent in Lebanon. Her nightmare is over. But those of many others are not. As long as the kafala system is maintained, women can expect to be tortured, starved, and enslaved with no one in Lebanon to turn to for assistance. 

No Lebanese institution has taken action to hold Nahla Mohsen accountable for enslaving Meskerem those eight years.

The People

“My employer just told me my father was dead and I thought it was true. I mourned him for years, thinking he was dead.” – Meskerem

Nahla Mohsen

Primarily responsible for Meskerem's suffering, enslaving her for seven years, including five years during which Meskerem endured physical and psychological abuse, before arranging for her to be arrested by Lebanese police. She still owes Meskerem over seven years worth of wages, plus damages.

Nigussie Bedaso Mola

Ethiopian diplomat at Beirut consulate. Tsedale went to him pleading for help finding her sister. He provided none and was reported to have threaten to arrest Tsedale for pestering him.

Meskerem Asfew

Survivor of a nightmarish seven and a half years in Lebanon, including at least five in which she was cut off from the outside world, enslaved, humiliated and tortured physically and mentally.


Meskerem’s sister – also works in Lebanon, visited Nahla’s home first time and reached an agreement to pay Meskerem. However, upon her second visit, she realized that Nahla had disappeared and took Meskerem with her. Tsedale repeatedly visited the consulate seeking updates on her sister until one diplomat Nigussie Bedaso Mola threatened that she would be arrested if she were to return to the consulate.

Chewanesh Mariye

Meskerem’s mother – was heartbroken by Meskerem’s disappearance. In a desperate attempt at finding her missing daughter, she pleaded with Ms. Mohsen to allow her to see her again, claiming that Meskerem’s father had recently passed away and that she was severely ill and desperate to see her daughter before dying.


We can't do this alone. We need your help! Join us in this fight.

Contact the Sponsors

Talk to the Nahla Mohsen and her them to pay Meskerem her rightfully owed salary.

Share the Story

Tell others about this. Join us in the fight to ensure that Nahla Mohsen and Nigussie are brought to justice.

Join Our Work

We need your help to continue our efforts in fighting for Meskerem Asfew and others like her.

Get the Updates

Get the updates straight into your inbox so you don't miss any part of the story.



 سافرت "مِسكيريم أماري أسفاو" إلى لبنان بحثاً عن وظيفة كعاملة منزلية، لكنها عوضاً عن ذلك أصبحت إحدى الناجيات من سنوات العذاب والعمل القسري والانتهاكات على يد صاحبة العمل اللبنانية. ولأنها كانت محتجَزة في ظروف يرثى لها، كان مكانها مجهولاً لمدة تصل إلى خمس سنوات، مما ترك أسرتها تتعذب و لا تعرف ما إذا كانت مِسكيريم قد ماتت أم على قيد الحياة.

تم تسليط الضوء على محنة مِسكيريم إلى جانب محنة امرأتين أخريين في حلقة من برنامج "في العمق" على قناة الجزيرة حول معاناة النساء المستعبَدات في لبنان على مدى سنين. إن قضاياهن هي شواهد عن نساء كان أصحاب العمل مسؤولين عن ضياعهن في دوامات من استعباد لا نهاية له. كثيراً ما تخاطر عاملات المنازل الوافدات بحياتهن هرباً من أصحاب العمل. لكن عندما لا يهربن، يكون بوسعهن أن يتحملن شهوراً، وحتى أعوام من الإذلال اليومي والذي غالباً ما يحطّمهن جسدياً أو نفسياً.

في عام 2012، سافرت مِسكيريم البالغة من العمر حينئذ 28 عاماً إلى لبنان بهدف كسب العيش وإعالة والديها وإخوتها. سافرت شقيقتها الصغرى تسيدال أماري إلى لبنان ووجدت عملاً. كان من المفترض ألا يكون لدى مِسكيريم أية مشكلة في القيام بالأمر نفسه.

إن صاحبة العمل، نهلة يوسف محسن، مطلقة وأم لثلاثة أطفال، مواليد عام 1976 وسيدة أعمال أصبحت فيما بعد مغنية في النوادي الليلية، عقدت اتفاقاً لدفع 150 دولار شهرياً لـ"مِسكيريم" ودفع ثمن رحلة العودة إلى إثيوبيا لاحقاً.

بين تشرين الثاني 2012 وآذار 2015، عملت مِسكيريم في منزل السيدة محسن في بيروت واعتنت بأطفالها. كانت الظروف المعيشية خلال هذه الفترة مقبولة، حتى أن أخت مِسكيريم تسيدال تمكنت من المواظبة على زيارة المنزل والاطمئنان عن أختها. لكن كان هناك أمر شائك كبير: فقد رفضت نهلة محسن أن تدفع راتباً ل "مِسكيريم".

بعد أن وعدت في البداية بالدفع لـ" مِسكيريم" كل شهرين أو ثلاثة أشهر، استمرت في اختلاق الأعذار لتأجيل الدفع الذي وعدت به، على الرغم من الاحتجاجات المتكررة من قبل العائلة في إثيوبيا وتسيدال التي كانت تزور المنزل وتطالب بدفع ما كانوا يدينون به لأختها. أما نهلة، التي وُصِفت بأنها مخادعة للغاية، احتالت على مِسكيريم وجعلتها تعتقد بأنها ستحصل على أجورها المتجمعة في نهاية عقد عملها الذي مدته عامان. سيكون هذا ما يقارب 3600 دولار دون احتساب أجرة السفر لعودة مِسكيريم إلى إثيوبيا.

أطل تشرين الثاني 2014، ولم تكن نهلة تدفع لعاملتها، متعذرة بأمها المريضة، والتكاليف المتعلقة بتعليم أطفالها وغيرها من الأعذار.

وبعد بضعة أشهر، زارت تسيدال المنزل وهي بأشد غضبها وأخبرت نهلة أنها لن تحتمل هذا بعد الآن. كانت مِسكيريم قد عملت قرابة عامين ونصف في منزل محسن، لكن لم يكن لديها ما يبرهن على ذلك. توصلت الأختان إلى اتفاق مع السيدة محسن: ستحصل مِسكيريم على أجرها بنهاية آذار 2015، أو ستغادر المنزل.

ذهبت تسيدال قبل وقت قصير من نهاية الشهر لزيارة المنزل، وهي تشعر بالرضى عن الإنذار النهائي، لترى كيف كان تجميع أجور أختها من قبل عائلة محسن. لكن عندما زارت المنزل في بيروت، وجدته فارغاً، ولا أحد بداخله. وأوضح لها الجيران أن عائلة محسن قد انتقلت وأخذت أخت تسيدال معها.

"هذه المرأة اختفت ومعها أختي، ولم يعد بإمكاني العثور عليها،" تقول تسيدال لجمعية "هذا لبنان". "لم يكن لدي مكان ألجأ إليه. لقد استغلتها المرأة لأكثر من عامين ولكي تتجنب مسؤولياتها، توقفت عن الرد على مكالماتي."

بدأ "هذا لبنان" التحقيق في ظروف مِسكيريم، عندما تواصلت العائلة معنا في عام 2018. باستخدام البيانات التي في متناول عامة الناس والمخبرين على أرض الواقع في لبنان، علمنا أن نهلة يوسف محسن كانت تواجه دعاوى قضائية متعددة بتهمة التهرب الضريبي والمعاملات الاحتيالية التي تشمل شركاء الأعمال والمشاريع التي شاركت فيها في كل من لبنان والمغرب. وفي محاولة لتجنب دائنيها، بدأت في تغيير العناوين وأرقام الهواتف بشكل متكرر.

تمكنّا من الحصول على عنوان لها في بيروت. وشاركنا هذه المعلومات مع صحفيي الجزيرة الذين كانوا يبحثون عنها أيضاً. لكن عندما زار الصحفيون الموقع، وجدوا أنه مهجور أيضاً. بدت مِسكيريم لا يمكن تعقّب أثرها.

ستبقى مِسكيريم غير قابلة للتعقب لأكثر من سنتين، حيث تهربت نهلة محسن من القانون ودائنيها. لمدة عام ونصف تقريباً، علمنا أنها تعيش مع عائلتها ومِسكيريم المستعبدة في مبنى شفيق جوهري، في الطابق الثاني. يقع المبنى في شارع نازك الحريري قرب المدرسة الأوروبية في دوحة عرمون.

استخدمت نهلة محسن أرقام هواتف متنوعة منها رقم الجوال 96170633613+ وخط أرضي 9615808996+. على مر السنين، تجاهلت نهلة محسن عدداً من المكالمات الهاتفية والرسائل النصية التي أرسلها لها "هذا لبنان". لقد أدركت جيداً أننا نقيم دعوى ضدها واتخذت الاحتياطات اللازمة لتجنب العثور عليها من قبل فريقنا على الأرض.

بالإضافة إلى نشر فريق بحث، حاولت جمعية "هذا لبنان" أيضاً استنفاذ السبل القانونية للحصول على إطلاق سراح مِسكيريم. اتصلنا بفرع لمنظمة دولية في بيروت تقدم المساعدة القانونية وأعطيناهم ​​ملفات قضيتَي مِسكيريم وامرأة أخرى فُقدت منذ سنوات.

تم تقديم ملف مِسكيريم للمنظمة في شباط من عام 2019. لكن لسوء الحظ، لم يتم اتخاذ أي إجراء مثمر ولم تكن هناك محاولة صادقة لمتابعة القضية مع مرور الوقت.

وقد تم التماس المساعدة من القنصلية الإثيوبية في بيروت أيضاً. والقنصلية معروفة بتواطئها في معاناة عاملات المنازل الوافدات في لبنان. ذهبت تسيدال أماري و زارت المقر وطلبت المساعدة من الدبلوماسيين الإثيوبيين في تحديد مكان شقيقتها المفقودة، لكن القنصلية لم تتخذ أي إجراء.

زارت تسيدال القنصلية مراراً وتكراراً للحصول على أي جديد بشأن شقيقتها. في النهاية، انزعج الدبلوماسيون وأمروها بألا تعود إلا إذا تواصلوا معها. هدد أحد الدبلوماسيين تسيدال بأنه سيتم اعتقالها إن عادت إلى القنصلية. لدى الدبلوماسي، المدعو نيغوسي بيداسو مولا، تاريخ طويل من التواطؤ في شقاء مواطنيه، بما في ذلك التستر على الوفيات، مثل وفاة مولو تيلاي، عاملة منزلية وافدة تبلغ من العمر 21 عاماً حين سقطت لتلقى حتفها في عام 2019 وهي تحاول الهروب من سوء المعاملة على أيدي أصحاب العمل.

 وبدلاً من ذلك، تم تجميع المعلومات من المخبرين الذين تحدثوا إلى عاملات المنازل اللواتي يعشن في المنطقة وكنّ شهود عيان على محنة مِسكيريم. وبحسب قولهن، فقد أمضت مِسكيريم السنوات في المنزل تتعرض لسوء المعاملة والضرب والإهانة والتهديد من قبل نهلة محسن وسلسلة من أصدقائها الذين كانوا يزورون المنزل خلال هذه الفترة الزمنية. لم تكن مِسكيريم تحصل على طعام جيد، لدرجة أنها كانت تعاني من سوء التغذية، ومُنعت من الوصول إلى أي هاتف.

ستعرف جمعية "هذا لبنان" تفاصيل الفترة المتبقية من حياتها وهي حبيسة المنزل بعد سنوات.

في حزيران 2020، وبعد سنوات دون أي خبر عما إذا كانت مِسكيريم على قيد الحياة، تلقت عائلتها في إثيوبيا مفاجأة حياتهم، حين اتصلت بهم مِسكيريم لتقول أنها هبطت في العاصمة الإثيوبية أديس أبابا. سيتعين عليها البقاء في الحجر الإلزامي مدة أسبوعين، وفقًا لمعايير كوفيد 19، لكنها ستكون قادرة على زيارة أسرتها، التي كانت مصدومة وتشعر بسعادة غامرة وارتياح كبير لسماعها أن مِسكيريم كانت على قيد الحياة وأنها حرة أخيراً بعد حوالي ثماني سنوات من الجحيم وهي تحت رحمة نهلة يوسف محسن.

ووصفت شوانيش مارييه، والدة مِسكيريم، اللحظة بعد أسبوعين في مقابلة مع قناة الجزيرة، حين رأت عيناها ابنتها أخيراً، التي كانت تعاني من سوء التغذية الحاد وفقدت معظم أسنانها.

قالت: "لقد تقدمتْ في السن بشكل كبير وكانت تبدو واهنة للغاية". "لكن كأمّ، فإن الألم في عينيها هو الذي حطم قلبي أكثر. حضنتها بين ذراعي ولم أفلتها."

ظهرت مِسكيريم مصدومة نفسياً ومحنتها المروّعة تركت ندوباً تدل على الوحشية التي تعرضت لها. وأكدت لاحقاً الكثير مما سمعه "هذا لبنان" من مصادر أخرى.

وبحسب مِسكيريم، لقد تركتها نهلة محسن محتجزة في منازل مختلفة كسجينة لسنوات. وبعملها في ملهى ليلي، انجرفت في تعاطي الكحول والمخدرات، مما أوقع الضرر ليس فقط بمِسكيريم بل بأطفالها أيضاً. وأخبرتنا بأنها: "كانت تترك المال على الطاولة للأطفال ليطلبوا الطعام من المطاعم عندما يذهبون إلى المدرسة". "لكن في معظم الأوقات لم يكن هناك شيء في المنزل ولم يكن لدي سوى القليل لأكله من الخبز العربي الذي كنت أحاول أن أجعله يكفيني طوال اليوم."

تصف مِسكيريم خوفها الشديد من محاولة الهرب. فالضرب المتواصل الذي تعرضت له من قبل نهلة محسن ورفاقها الذكور جعلها تخشى مما يمكن أن يحدث لو تم القبض عليها.

لم تقتصر قسوة نهلة محسن على العنف الجسدي الذي تعرضت له مِسكيريم. ووصفت شوانيش والدة مِسكيريم للجزيرة آخر اتصال هاتفي بالسيدة محسن بعد أيام قليلة من زيارة تسيدال للمنزل وعلمها بانتقالهم. بحسب شوانيش، وفي محاولة يائسة للعثور على ابنتها المفقودة، ناشدت السيدة محسن السماح لها برؤيتها مرة أخرى، مدّعية أن والد مِسكيريم قد توفي مؤخراً، وأنها كانت مريضة للغاية ومتحرقة لرؤية ابنتها قبل أن تموت. كان والد مِسكيريم على قيد الحياة وبصحة جيدة، لكن شوانيش اعتقدت أن مناشدة حس الإنسانية لدى نهلة محسن قد تنفع هنا.

وبدلاً من ذلك، ذهبت نهلة محسن وأخبرت مِسكيريم أن والدها قد مات.

قالت مِسكيريم لقناة الجزيرة: "أخبرتني صاحبة العمل للتو أن والدي مات واعتقدت أن ذلك صحيح. حزنت عليه لسنوات، معتقدة أنه توفّي."

تصف مِسكيريم أنه بعد سنوات من تغيير العناوين، فإن الضغط الناتج عن مطاردة الدائنين لها والآن فريق "هذا لبنان" قد استنفذ قوى نهلة محسن. ذات يوم، اتصلت بصديق شرطي لها وطلبت منه أن يُبعِدَ مِسكيريم بأخذها إلى السجن، وهو أمر يسهل تدبيره جداً في لبنان، حيث غالباً ما يتم احتجاز وسجن عاملات المنازل الوافدات بموجب نظام "كفالة"، لأشهر وحتى سنوات في كل مرة.

وقالت مِسكيريم لجمعية "هذا لبنان" أنه بعد ثلاثة أشهر من اعتقالها، طُلِب من نهلة محسن المثول أمام المحكمة لتوجيه اتهامات رسمية ضد مِسكيريم. غالباً ما يزعم أصحاب العمل افتراءً أنهم ضحايا للسرقة حين يسعون لإبقاء عاملاتهم وراء القضبان إلى أجل غير مُسمّى.

 قررت نهلة محسن عدم القيام بذلك، على الأرجح خوفاً من أن المثول أمام المحكمة سيؤدي إلى فتح ملفها وإصدار أمر من القاضي بالقبض عليها لتهرّبها من العدالة حين كانت سيدة أعمال. تم إطلاق سراح مِسكيريم في النهاية دون توجيه أية تهم إليها. وقام أفراد من الجالية الإثيوبية بترتيب إعادتها جواً إلى إثيوبيا حيث تم لم شملها أخيراً مع والديها اللذين طالت معاناتهما.

لاعتقادها أن والدها قد مات، تصف مِسكيريم أنه كاد أن يغمى عليها في المطار حين اتصلت برقمه وسمعت صوته، كونه الرقم الوحيد الذي كانت تخفظه.

"بدأ كلانا في البكاء. كلانا لم يصدق أننا كنا سنرى بعضنا البعض على قيد الحياة."

دون احتساب تكاليف السفر الموعود بها، تدين نهلة يوسف محسن لعاملتها السابقة بأجور قيمتها أكثر من 13000 دولار، لكن الأضرار الناجمة عن المعاناة التي لا تطاق التي عاشتها مِسكيريم منذ ما يقارب عقداً من الزمان ستجعل من هذا المبلغ مضاعفاً عدة مرات.

في عام 2017، تدخّل "هذا لبنان" في قضية أخرى من هذا القبيل وأنقذ حليمة أوباه، التي استعبدتها صاحبة العمل السياسية اللبنانية مدة عشر سنوات. بعد مساهمتنا في القضية، تمت إعادة حليمة إلى وطنها، مما وضع نهاية لعشر سنوات من الانتهاكات. ومع ذلك، مثل مِسكيريم، فهي أيضاً لم تتقاضَ أجورها المستحَقة. في حالة حليمة، رفض المعتدون عليها علي الخطيب وزوجته ابتسام السعدي دفع المبلغ الهائل والذي تبلغ قيمته 40 ألف دولار بالإضافة إلى تعويضات عن الضرر.

مِسكيريم أماري على قيد الحياة لكنها ما تزال تعاني من أهوال السنوات الثماني التي عاشتها في لبنان. انتهى كابوسها. إلا أن كوابيس العديد من العاملات الأخريات لم تنته بعد. وطالما نظام "كفالة" مستمر، يمكن للمرأة أن تتوقع التعرض للتعذيب والتجويع والاستعباد ولا أحد تلجأ إليه في لبنان للحصول على المساعدة.

لم تتخذ أية مؤسسة لبنانية إجراءات لمحاسبة نهلة محسن على استعباد مِسكيريم طوال تلك السنوات الثمانية.

Join Our Work

Would you like to write with us or about us? Let's work together.